GENERAL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL PROGRAMMES
It is announced for the information of prospective applicants and the general public that the School of Graduate Studies is offering the under-listed Masters/PhD programmes for the 2023-2024Academic Year.
- A good first degree, preferably second class lower or better (or a Final Grade Point Average of at least 2.0), in a relevant field of study at the University of Ghana or any recognized/accredited University. Applicants with third class may be considered for admission based on work experience and/or other qualifications.
• A minimum of two years working experience is required from all applicants desiring to pursue programmes at the University of Ghana Business School.
For more details in respect of Admission requirements, applicants are advised to contact the various Departments/Schools/Institutes/Centres for additional information on the various programmes.
• For purposes of assessing an applicant’s eligibility, he/she may be required to take an entrance examination and/or interview at the Department/Institute/School/Centre.
• For programmes marked with asterisks (*), all applicants are admitted into the MA/MSc programme at the first instance. Students who obtain an average of B+ or better in the first semester examinations MAY upgrade to the MPhil programme upon recommendation by the Head of Department in consultation with the Graduate Studies Committee of his/her Department.
Applicants may apply for a PhD programme with a Masters’ degree or a very good first degree.
Applicants applying with Masters’ Degree
• Applicants with relevant Masters’ degree from the University of Ghana or any recognized/accredited University may apply for a PhD programme.
- Applicants applying with first degree
Applicants with very good first degree from the University of Ghana or any recognized/accredited University may apply for a PhD programme. Such applicants, when admitted, shall be required to take first year courses of the Masters’ (Level 600) programme of their departments. They shall be required to pass all examinations in the courses. On successful completion of the Level 600 courses and depending on their performance, they would then progress to the four-year Ph.D. programme.
All PhD programmes in the University are now fee-paying and the durations are as follows:
• Full-Time – Four (4) years
• Part-Time – Six (6) years
PROGRAMME- SPECIFIC ENTRY REQUIREMENTS/THEMATIC AREAS
• MBA Management Information Systems
Prospective applicants must have at least two (2) years working experience in an IT environment to qualify for admission.
• MPhil Home Science (Food Utilization and Community Nutrition)
Applicants must have a strong science background to qualify for admission.
• MPhil/MA English
Applicants seeking admission to these programmes must have:
a. Majored in either a combined or single major programme
b. taken at least 30 credits in the subject
- MA/LLM Programme
Applicants would be required to take an entrance examination
- MSc. Audiology
Applicants must have a good first degree (minimum FGPA of 3.0) in Physics, Psychology, Biological Sciences, and Special Education with major in Communication Disorder or Nursing
• MPhil Social work
Applicants are to submit one-page essay (single spaced) stating their short and long-term career goals. They are to also discuss how a graduate programme in Social Work will help them achieve these goals. This should be uploaded with other required documents online.
• MPhil Anatomy
Applicants should first discuss their research ideas with the Department before completing
• MPhil Chemical Pathology
Applicants will be required to show proof of funding for their project work.
• MSc Medical Laboratory Sciences
Applicants must hold a Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences with a FGPA of not less than 3.25 or possess a Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Sciences with a minimum of second class (upper) from a recognized university.
• MPhil Information Studies-Top Up
This is for candidates who completed their MA within the last five years and in addition obtained a B+ average.
• MPhil Agricultural Engineering
Applicants must submit a thesis proposal with applications
MEng/MPhil/PhD- Biomedical Engineering
• Bioinformatics, Genomics and Targeted Drug Discovery
• Implants Science &Regenerative Engineering
• Bioinstrumentation &Clinical Engineering
MEng/MPhil/PhD- Materials Science & Engineering
1. Materials for Energy
2. Materials for Health care Delivery
3. Structural Materials
MEng/MPhil/PhD- Agriculture Engineering
1. Soil &Water Engineering
2. Postharvest Engineering
3. Machine Systems Engineering (Agricultural Mechanization)
All PhD and MPhil applicants must submit a thesis proposal with their applications. Shortlisted PhD/ MPhil/Meng applicants will be interviewed
MPhil in Education /Educational Leadership and Management
*Applicants to the MPhil Education programme must have an MA degree in Education.
*Applicants to the MPhil Educational Leadership and Management programme must possess an MA degree in any of the following:
Educational Leadership and Management, Educational Administration and Management, Educational Leadership, Educational Management, Educational Administration
University of Ghana application e-voucher can be obtained by Ghanaian applicants for GH¢ 220.00 via USSD Payment or at the following banks: Access Bank, Zenith Bank, Universal Merchant Bank, Ecobank, Republic Bank, Agricultural Development Bank, GCB Bank, Unibank, Consolidated Bank Ghana (CBG), Prudential Bank, First Atlantic Bank and Fidelity Bank. Applicants should follow carefully the instructions on the voucher when completing the ONLINE APPLICATION FORM.
Applicants who did not graduate from the University of Ghana must submit the following documents online (Scan and Attach):
- Bachelors’ Degree Certificate and Transcript (for those applying for Masters’ Degree programmes)
- Bachelors’ and Masters’ Degree Certificate and Transcript (for those applying for PhD programmes)
- Three referees’ reports are required (provide the details of the referees online)
- PhD applicants should attach their Research Proposals to the application (Not more than Four pages)
- Scan and upload a Gazette/Marriage certificate where name has changed
The official transcript should be scanned into one PDF or WORD document and attached to the application.
NOTE THAT NO APPLICATION WILL BE PROCESSED WITHOUT THE CERTIFICATE/OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT OR GAZETTE/MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE WHERE NAME HAS CHANGED. The originals will be required during interviews.
All applicants who graduated from the University of Ghana from 1996 to date should indicate their ‘STUDENT IDENTITY NUMBERS’ on their forms before submission.
INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS AND GHANAIANS APPLYING FROM ABROAD
This category of applicants should use the following links to access the online application form for completion and submission:
All applicants are expected to pay to the University a non-refundable application processing fee of US$110.00. This fee can be paid directly or wire transferred into the UNIVERSITY OF GHANA ECOBANK ACCOUNT.
Details of the Account are:
All foreign students should make their payments as follows:
- Account Name: University of Ghana Fees Collection (FOREX) – For payments in Ghana
- Account Name: University of Ghana Fees Collection (FOREIGN) – For payments outside Ghana
Account No.: 0161094409780403; Swift Code: ECOCGHAC
The pay-in-slips together with applicants’ certificates and transcripts should be scanned and attached to the application form before submission. The transcript should be scanned into one PDF or WORD document and attached to the application.
Note that no application will be processed without proof of payment of the fee.
|Cost of E-voucher|
|International Applicants and Ghanaians applying from abroad||US$110.00|
These on-line forms are for applicants who have completed First or Second(Masters) University Degrees and wish to apply to Masters or Phd Degrees respectively.
Click to Apply (Ghanaian Applicants)
Click to Apply (International Applicants)
All further enquiries should be sent to the addresses below:
The School Administrator
School of Graduate Studies
University of Ghana
0303966098, 0545462159, 0570231039
ALL APPLICANTS MUST ENSURE THAT THEIR ON-LINE APPLICATIONS ARE CORRECTLY FILLED AND RECEIPT ACKNOWLEDGED ON SUBMISSION. ENSURE THAT CORRECT ADDRESSES AND TELEPHONE NUMBERS ARE PROVIDED.YOU MUST ALSO PRINT AND KEEP A COPY OF THE APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED ONLINE. THIS WOULD BE NEEDED DURING REGISTRATION IF ADMITTED. FINALLY, YOU ARE TO CHECK FROM TIME TO TIME YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION TO ASCERTAIN WHETHER OR NOT YOU HAVE BEEN RECOMMENDED FOR ADMISSION.
- How to buy SHS Placement Checker using MTN Mobile Money - November 28, 2023
- CSSPS: School placement for 2023 BECE graduates out, know where to check your school - November 28, 2023
- 2023 School Placement: GES Releases Placement Checker Cards - November 27, 2023