Infertility is the inability for couples to achieve conception or become pregnant after regular unprotected sex for at least one year. About 10% of married couples seek medical advice regarding infertility when after 2 years of married life, they find that, they are still childless.
Below are some types of infertility in women;
1. Primary infertility
This is when woman has never become pregnant or a man has never impregnated a woman with regular unprotected sex.
2. Secondary infertility
This is when couples have been pregnant before and later cannot impregnate or become pregnant after having regular unprotected sex.
Is when couples become pregnant after one year of having regular unprotected sex in the marriage. This is mostly as a result of anxiety.
Some Causes Of Infertility In Women
1. Uterine causes; Abnormal anatomy of the uterus. Example infantile uterus, the presence of polyps and fibroid.
2. Cervical cause; A woman may have a cervical condition in which the sperm cannot pass through the cervical canal whether or due to abnormal mucus or production or prior surgical procedure, this problem may be treated with intra uterine insemination.
3. Undescended testis; A problem often present from birth in which testes remain in the body cavity. Normally they descend into the scrotum before birth.
4. Damage to fallopian tubes; Damage to the fallopian tube ( which carry the eggs from the ovaries to the uterus) can prevent contact between egg and sperm. Pelvic infections, endometriosis and pelvic surgeries may lead to scar formation and fallopian tube damage.
5. Aging; Women are born with all the eggs they will ever have. As a woman ages, her eggs age with her, diminishing in quantity and quality. As men age, levels of testosterone fall and the volume and concentration if sperm change.
6. Infectious diseases; STI’s and other reproductive tract infectious, rumps that develop after puberty in men. STI’s are a major cause of infertility. Left untreated gonorrhea and chlamydia can infect fallopian tube, uterus and ovaries.
7. Unexplained infertility; The cause of infertility inappropriately 205 of couples will not be determined using the currently available methods on investigation.
8. Hormonal causes; Some women have problems with ovulation. Synchronized hormonal changes leading to the release of an egg from the ovary and the thickening of the endometrium (lining of the uterus) in preparation for the fertilized egg do not occur.
9. Incompatibility; Obesity or underweight can cause infertility in women.
10. Anxiety; Smoking and alcohol: Nicotine and other harmful chemicals in cigarette interfere with the body’s ability to produce estrogen, the hormone that regulates ovulation. Excessive alcohol intake can also affect the quantity of a man’s sperm
- Surgical intervention to correct abnormalities
- Psychological management
- Adoption as an option
- Put on drugs
- Adequate premarital counseling.
Thanks for reading. Please like, comment and share with pals. Don’t forget to follow us for more